Last Wednesday the PlayStation Network went down. 7 day’s later it’s still down and information is scarce. This. Shouldn’t. Happen.
On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.
To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,” Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post. - Wall Street Journal
There are so many things to talk about from those two paragraphs alone, though it’s worth it to read the entire article. First of all, if my personal information has been compromised why hasn’t Sony put out a press release about it? Why haven’t they emailed the users of their service to tell them that their information has been compromised? And why are there only 4 sentences about it on the Playstation Blog?
No news is bad news here, Sony. We are 7 days into this thing and you haven’t told us anything. That means you have no idea how badly you have messed up. Saying, “Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure." doesn’t actually mean anything to anyone.
Pull it together Sony. Email your users, tell them if their information has been compromised because that could canceling credit cards and changing passwords. Or tell us that our information is secure but the service will be down for days, or weeks, or months. Be the billion dollar company you are and just tell us something.
The thing to say on your web is that since PSN is free you can’t really complain about it, and that’s pretty dumb… The store, your friends list, these aren’t perks. By 2011, they’re bedrock assertions of the medium. The deal they made with users - one which, for years, was the justification for a gruesome price disparity - was ‘free Xbox Live,’ not ‘shit happens’. - Penny Arcade.
This PSN thing is like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion. I really want to look away but I can’t. I know it’s infuriating millions of people, but all I can do is keep reading news and wait patiently for it to be over.
- lvcifr likes this
- geekmuch reblogged this from nerdology
- becausewehavetochasehim reblogged this from nerdology and added:
- theravenclawfrommaui likes this
- jerrizle likes this
- thearishok likes this
- chelseaheckagaming reblogged this from journeyofagamer
- jkspn likes this
- ben-doesnt-care-if-he reblogged this from nerdology
- cbotwell likes this
- kingbuda007 reblogged this from nerdology and added:
- ihateenglishnames reblogged this from nerdology
- dek-says-so reblogged this from nerdology and added:
- zenabxftw reblogged this from nerdology
- kennymattozzi reblogged this from nerdology
- opium-doll reblogged this from nerdology
- themenagerist reblogged this from nerdology
- niemascreama reblogged this from skyhypegalaxy
- halffiction likes this
- lesmortsss likes this
- skyhypegalaxy reblogged this from nerdology
- ziegfeld-folly likes this
- aydensface likes this
- kingespada00 reblogged this from dubstealth
- homunculusfel reblogged this from nerdology and added:
- viewfromthebow reblogged this from nerdology and added:
- culby likes this
- nopickle88 likes this
- theweaponofimagination reblogged this from nerdology
- theweaponofimagination likes this
- gallifreygal likes this
- storyofjesi reblogged this from nerdology
- life-tips-life-quotes likes this
- journeyofagamer reblogged this from nerdology
- journeyofagamer likes this
- jangothinks likes this
- triforc3ofpow3r reblogged this from nerdology
- hi-kristen likes this
- nerdology posted this